Having a child is one of the most joyful events in a person’s life. Discovering that something went wrong during the delivery process can be devastating, especially if it could have been prevented. Birth injuries can occur before, during or shortly after delivery and can be caused by a number of factors such as failure to recognize fetal distress and/or failure perform an emergency cesarean when necessary.
If your baby suffered a birth injury that you believe may have been caused by a mistake made during delivery, you should speak with an attorney about your right to compensation. Contact a San Diego birth injury attorney at The Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock, A.P.C. for a free evaluation of your case.
Birth Injury Causes
There are number of things that can cause injury to a baby during birth, many of which are no one’s fault. But, when a baby suffers an injury because of a mistake made by a doctor, nurse or other health care provider during the delivery process, he or she and/or the hospital can be held accountable.
Birth injuries caused by negligence can include:
- Failure to detect fetal distress, leading to cerebral palsy or other serious complications
- Failure to anticipate complications such as the baby being breeched or too large for the mother’s birth canal
- Improper use of forceps, vacuums or other devices, leading to facial paralysis or bone fractures
- Delaying a cesarean for too long, depriving the baby of oxygen
Types of Severe Birth Injuries
There are many types of birth injuries that can occur, ranging from mild with few complications to severe and life-threatening. Birth injuries can include:
- Broken bones when the baby is too large for the mother’s canal
- Facial paralysis from use of forceps
- Bruising or scalp lacerations from use of vacuum extraction
- Conditions like cerebral palsy and Erb’s palsy caused by birth problems
Contact a San Diego Birth Injury Lawyer
If you feel that your baby was injured by medical negligence, you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney with experience in birth injury claims will be able to determine whether negligence contributed to your baby’s injuries.
If negligence can be proven, you may be eligible to recover financial compensation for any medical bills and long term treatment costs associated with your baby’s injuries as well as the pain and suffering you and your child have endured and continue to face.
To learn more, please contact a San Diego birth injury lawyer at The Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock, A.P.C. and schedule a free review of your case.