If you suspect that your elderly loved one is being mistreated while in the care of a nursing home, you should speak with an elder abuse lawyer as soon as possible. Even if you are unsure, an attorney can help determine if abuse or negligence has occurred and can protect the rights of your loved one.
Discovering that your loved one is being mistreated, neglected or abused can be devastating. At the Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock, A.P.C., we provide aggressive and dedicated representation for individuals and families that are affected by elder abuse and/or negligence in and around San Diego County. If you believe that your loved one is being mistreated, don’t take chances with his or her safety. Contact a San Diego elder abuse attorney by calling the Law Office of Melinda J.. Helbock, A.P.C. today.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
There are several categories of mistreatment of the elderly. Abuse can occur anywhere — in a nursing home, in an elder care day facility, or even in the elderly person’s own home. Elder abuse can be:
- Verbal elder abuse (e.g., threatening, insulting or demeaning language used toward the elderly)
- Physical elder abuse (e.g., shoving, slapping, hitting, unwarranted use of restraints)
- Emotional/mental elder abuse (e.g., humiliating, harassing, ignoring or manipulating an elderly person)
- Sexual elder abuse (often of an elderly person who cannot resist or does not comprehend)
- Financial elder abuse (e.g., tricking him or her out of their savings or control of finances)
- Neglect (e.g., bed sores, malnutrition, dehydration, lack of supervision, not changing bedding or clothing)
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
Sometimes the perpetrator(s) of neglect or mistreatment at a nursing home or elder care facility take great pains to cover up their abuse. However, in many cases the signs of elder abuse are noticed by family or friends. Signs of mistreated can include:
- changes in the elderly person’s demeanor or behavior, particularly for the worse
- bruises, scratches or even broken bones that are not adequately explained
- untreated bed sores
- illnesses that seem odd
- sudden changes in the management of finances
- the resident’s surroundings are not kept clean and tidy
Nursing Home Laws
All 50 states and the federal government have enacted laws to protect the elderly in nursing homes and other elder care facilities. An experienced elder abuse attorney knows the state and federal laws pertaining to claims of mistreatment and neglect of the elderly, and can advise clients about the appropriateness of a lawsuit.
Contact a San Diego Elder Abuse Lawyer
If an elderly member of your family has suffered mistreatment — or if you merely suspect that elder abuse has occurred — contact a San Diego-area elder abuse attorney to discuss your concerns by calling the Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock, A.P.C. today.
We will listen to your story and investigate to determine whether abuse has occurred. If we find signs of mistreatment, we will fight aggressively to ensure your loved one is put in a safe environment and will make sure that the responsible person(s) is held accountable for his or her actions. To schedule an evaluation of your case, contact us today.