The short answer is: maybe. There are several factors that can lead to a birth injury, some of which are preventable. You will have a legal claim if your baby’s injury was caused by negligence.A qualified birth injury lawyer will be able to determine whether negligence played a role in your baby’s injury and will be able to help you pursue compensation for damages if negligence can in fact be proven.Examples of negligence that might lead to birth injuries include:
- Failure to detect fetal distress or other complications
- Failure to perform an emergency C-section when necessary
- Improper use of forceps and other medical devices during delivery
- Delaying a C-section for too long, causing oxygen deprivation
When a doctor, nurse or other health care provider makes a mistake during delivery, the consequences can be devastating. Birth injuries can range from minor with few symptoms to severe with debilitating symptoms.
Examples of Birth Injury Claims
- Facial paralysis from improper use of forceps
- Lacerations of the scalp from vacuum extraction
- Cerebral palsy or Erb’s palsy from oxygen depravation
- Broken bones when the baby is too large for the mother’s canal
If you suspect that negligence played a role in your baby’s birth injury, you should speak with an attorney right away. To speak with an experienced and qualified birth defect attorney in San Diego, contact The Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock, A.P.C.